Most of us carry our phones with us these days and if they have good battery life in the cold, they are a great tool to have on hand. Most apps allow you to use your GPS without cell phone service so you can keep track of yourself out there. Be sure to download the apps while in cell service along with any maps of the area you are visiting. Be sure to put your phone in AIRPLANE MODE when out there in the backcountry and you will drastically increase your batter life out there! You can get Cell service on most of the terrain immediate to the valley but once you get past the first range or so, you loose service.
Here are a few recommended applications:
Download Avenza PDF Maps via your devices app store or click the above link. Open the Avenza PDF Map app on your device and then search “McCall Idaho” via the shopping cart icon. Click on list view and scroll down to download PDF maps of your choice.
You will find the following detailed maps for our area:
- Payette National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Maps (2 maps for East & West – motorcycle & ATC trails)
- Payette National Forest Winter Travel Map (Snowmobile Trails)
- Bear Basin Summer Trail Map (mountain biking, hiking)
- Ponderosa State Park (mountain biking, hiking)
- McCall Idaho Trail Map
Download digital topo maps for offline use with your phone or tablet. Pin point your location, record your tracks without cell service. You can also use GPS waypoints from GPX or KML files, or enter your own coordinates using longitude/latitude, UTM, MGRS, or grid reference.
This uses many publicly available map sources as free downloads with some additional content available as an in app purchase.
We prefer the US Forest Service map source under “USA: Topo Maps and Charts” because these maps load faster and show all the trails and roads (and it’s FREE). It’s easy to save / download the maps to your phone – click the Map Layers icon at the top of the screen then under “Online & Cashed tiles”, select “MORE MAP SOURCES”. This is where you’ll find a list of available sources but again, we prefer the US Forest Service map. After you’ve selected your map source, click “Select Area for Download” then highlight the area on the map and select download. You can create folders for specific maps or just highlight the whole area surrounding McCall and be sure to set your zoom level at 16 for the most detail.
Use Strava to record your mountain bike ride, compare performance over time, compete with their community, and share the photos, stories and highlights of their activities with friends. Most of our areas popular trails are on Strava and as an off-roader, you can use Strava to simply keep track of your activity although there is not a classification for motorcycling or snowmobiling. Use the “workout” classification instead so the activity is not intermingled with mountain biking, running or hiking for example. You can keep your sessions private so you don’t have to share your secrete stashes or slow speeds but still can keep track where you went, how much of your outing was actually spent riding, and if you wear a heart rate tracking devise – link it up to get an idea of how many calories you burned. You’d be surprised at how many are burned in off-road activities!
Record Your Rides with GPS
• Activity Tracking: During and after activity, get key stats like distance, pace, speed, elevation gained and calories burned, as well as an interactive map of your activity
• Training Log: Monitor your training and track your improvement over time
• Route Discovery: Discover new places to run or ride, or follow routes you’ve created with mobile navigation
Connect with Friends and Fellow Athletes
• Social Training: Follow friends, training buddies and pros to view each other’s activities and encourage them with kudos and comments
• Activity Photos: Showcase the best moments of your run or ride
• Friendly Competition: Dig deep and shoot for a top time on segment leaderboards
• Personal Challenge: Participate in monthly Challenges designed to push you further
• Strava on Social: Share activity details on Facebook and Twitter
Pair Your Favorite Technology
• Device Friendly: Strava works with almost all GPS running watches, cycling computers and activity trackers
• Heart Rate: Train with a heart rate monitor for additional performance data
Additional web-only features, including route building, clubs and group activities, are available to all Strava athletes at www.strava.com .
Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.strava&hl=en